Playing online poker for real money in Canada is a huge draw card for most gamblers who love the challenge of the game, and the excitement of gambling with real cash, to win more money. As they say, you sometimes have to spend money to make money, and in this case, there is a big element of fun involved.
Many Canadian online gambling sites have been offering their members specialty poker rooms for players who just want card games, and as a way to give their members a more exclusive experience where everything they could want is in one convenient location.
The Best Online Poker Casino in Canada
The best way to have a good time, and give yourself a higher chance to earn some extra cash from winnings is by joining up with the best Сanadian real money casinos that offer all of your favorite games.
The highly-rated sites will not only have the best selection of games and bonuses for their members, but they will also have top of the line security features to ensure everyone is safe in their gameplay, and have the peace of mind knowing that their personal information is secure as well.
How We Test the Best Online Poker Casino Sites
To help players decided which websites are worth checking out, there are certain things that should be considered and checked directly on the casino site. Having the need to play card games, or money to gamble is a great motivator to find a good site with lots to offer, but just choosing a website that seems to offer the best bonuses is simply not enough.
For a better idea of what to look out for, take a look at some of the criteria that we consider before writing up a review for readers:
Welcome and no-deposit bonuses
Most of the top sites will offer great welcome bonuses that include extra “welcome to the group” cash without even making a deposit, and deposit matches that essentially double your account up to $100. Those are a great start to a good gaming site.
The number and variety of jackpots offered at the casino. Look for options that range from individual game jackpots, group jackpots, and progressives. Most games will show what the jackpot amounts have recently paid out, and what each progressive level is at the time. The more jackpots on offer, the better your chances of winning big.
Everyone loves loyal members, and casinos are no exception. Getting people to sign up with them not only opens up a ton of perks like welcome bonuses but also added benefits of joining up memberships with physical casinos with their online programs. That way, players can earn even more from the games they love most.
This is a point that many people do not consider while looking through possible sites that feel like a good provider of entertainment. A top of the line software provider will ensure all the games are crisp, fluid, and function well on any platform. Solid graphics and a good program makes or breaks the fun, and can severely affect how well you plan (and how much money you can make).
Players looking for internet poker for real cash or a more realistic video poker game should check our top list. Before signing up to the sites, have a look around and see exactly what they offer in terms of games and special promotions.
Take a quick look at the following top names in the video poker:
More than just one standard card game, play poker for real money is for true gamblers who love variety, a good challenge for entertainment, and extra cash in the bank.
To give you an idea of how many variations of the game there are, take a look at the list below:
- Texas Hold’em
- Pot-Limit Omaha
- Seven-Card Stud
- Omaha Hi-Lo
- 2-7 Triple Draw
- Five-Card Draw
- Chinese Poker
You can enjoy more than a dozen of real money poker variations online. Check out the rules for some most common variants below!
Texas Hold’em earns the top spot when it comes to real money poker popularity. It is easy to learn this game. Each player starts with two cards in their hand, and that is when the action begins.
After the initial betting round, a “flop” of three cards is revealed. In the next round, players see another “turn” card, and the final card is “river.” Once five cards are shown, it is time for another betting round. After that passes, all players still active show their cards. The person with the strongest betting hand wins.
You might find this variation under the name Omaha Hi at online real money poker sites. Pot-Limit Omaha is similar to Texas Hold’em, but you get four cards initially.
Since many combinations are possible and it is not difficult to get a strong hand, players find this game very exciting. It is suitable for beginners because it doesn’t take a lot of practice before you begin playing.
Seven-Card Stud is a bit tricky to learn, but once you start playing it, you will find it one of the best options to play online poker for real money. Everything starts with all players placing an ante bet. Each player is dealt three cards, but only one of them is face-up.
In the next rounds (streets), players continue receiving cards until they have seven in their hands. The last card is face-down, and each participant should look to create the strongest five-card variation.
Razz offers a different real money gaming experience since the winner is whoever has the least strong hand. Aces will always be valued “1,” which implies no one can beat a player with A-2-3-4-5.
As soon as everyone gets used to reversed hand ranking, Razz is simple to play. Due to low popularity, it might be hard to find a tournament. Furthermore, you will often find this variation as a part of the HORSE game.
Omaha Hi-Lo offers a twist to the classic Pot-Limit Omaha. The pot is always divided between the person with the strongest hand, and whoever has the lowest hand. That gives you more variations to profit in every hand.
Other rules are similar to Omaha Hi, which means there are multiple rounds and five cards being dealt initially.
2-7 Triple Draw
2-7 Triple Draw is another game you can play. Each player receives five cards hidden from others who participate in the game. Your goal is to get the lowest hand possible, and aces always count as their higher value.
Big and small blinds are a part of 2-7 Triple Draw. During three draws, players can discard one or more cards from their hands. Each round also includes betting, which means not everyone might stay in the game until the round three ends.
Here is a game that doesn’t require any prior skills at playing real money poker. Anyone can learn it minutes. Each player receives five cards. After everyone places their bets (or folds), the remaining participants can discard any of their five cards and receive replacements. After another round of betting, the highest card wins.
Here is another variation for gamblers. Each participant has the right to play up to four boxes, with each of them containing three cards. You receive them face-up, but the dealer gets them face-down. The hand strength table is a bit different than in other games.
A unique form of online poker real money that used to be popular is its Chinese variation. It even was at the World Series of Poker events several decades ago. The popularity faded because this variation isn’t easy to learn.
The maximum number of players per table is four. You receive 13 cards and divide them into three hands – high, middle, and weakest. Players compare hands based on how they sorted them, and flushes and straights could earn you instant wins. It is a bit complicated, but it can be a lot of fun!
Mississippi Stud Poker
Everyone must place an ante bet to receive two cards. They hide these cards from others, and betting starts. In the next round, as ingle community card is revealed. After revealing five community cards, the strongest hand wins.
Buy-ins and Costs
Are you wondering what is the best option when playing for real money? Here is what games you have at your disposal.
Cash games should be licensed and regulated, so make sure to choose only the best real money poker platforms to play them. You can choose between different stake worth, which ranges from $0.01 to $10 or more for small/big blind. That means both high rollers and casual users will find tables that fit their needs.
Tournaments can be freerolls, which means you don’t need any money to participate, as well as real cash tournaments. They come with a mandatory buy-in, and some of them even offer a re-buy option.
The rules are the same – a certain number of players participate. Players receive prizes based on the prize structure, but usually, several top positions qualify for winning a portion of the reward pool.
Huge Events, Low Entries
These are events that require a minor buy-in, which can even be $1 or lower. Providers like Pokerstars organize these events and focus on attracting as many participants as possible. It might be difficult to qualify to win a prize due to a large number of participants, but you will feel proud if you end up winning a reward.
Casino poker is the most common form of online poker in Canada. In this case, you play on websites, and you can choose between live dealer tables or automated software. Either way, you play only against the dealer and win if you have a better hand.
One of the best perks of being a member and playing online casino card games is the fact that casinos now offer downloadable apps that give you all of your favorite games from real money sites, but all packed into your preferred mobile device.
Popular Casino Deposit Methods
Canada’s poker online will generally offer players a wide range of banking options to deposit their money quickly and securely into their member’s accounts. To play poker online for money, the game works as it would in a physical casino. You have to spend money to get into a game, and potentially make a fair amount of money while having fun.
The most common payment methods available for game deposits are:
- Credit and Debit
- Wire bank transfer
- PayPal poker
- Casinos that accept Skrill or Neteller
- Pre-paid cards (Paysafecard or personal casino cards)
- Cash from a casino cage
Before choosing a preferred gambling payment method, pay close attention to any fees that may be added for deposits, along with the transfer times for payments to be processed. Nothing is more annoying than getting a surprise fee or having a long wait until your next game.
All sites should guarantee top security measures to keep information and cash transfers safe for all members. Most real money casino sites will clearly show the software they use to power their games, while others may give you that information via customer service, or in the terms and conditions pages.
Play Poker with PayPal
While playing at the best Canadian poker sites, PayPal is a popular option that many players prefer since it is a safe option for deposits and payouts (when available for both). Unlike Neteller and Skrill, PayPal seems to have a better reputation for fast and secure transfers with low fees, but just make sure to read through all of the benefits and possible negative points for the payment options listed in each PayPal casino Canada.
Looking through poker sites for real money, you will often find pages that help newcomers learn the basics of the game, along with some of the more common variations that are available on the website. It is always recommended to look through the basics of each style so that you have a good understanding of the rules, which in turn will give you better odds at winning your hand.
There may be the problem of learning the wrong rules, or not catching the differences that may be in the games on the casino websites. Each online site will offer the favorites, but many will also add their flavor to the mix by creating a slight variation of their own.
Other Common Tips for New Poker Players:
- Practice your poker face and watch other player tells
- Know when to fold and when to stay in the game
- Consider all hands, not just your preferred hand
- Never be pushed into a move you do not want to make
- Keep your eye on the bigger picture and do not just focus on your hand
Strategy Answers from Chris Moorman (now sits as the most accomplished online poker player of all-time, becoming the first player ever to achieve the $13 Million milestones (now over $15 million):
The top recommended online poker sites in Canada for real money is debatable among the pros who have experience playing in land-based gaming locations. They have seen it all, and know which ones work best for them, which is why they are also a great source of answers for beginners.
To get a better idea of what people are asking, take a look at the top frequently asked questions that new members have for pros and online casinos:
- Q. Is it safe to invest real money when playing poker?
- A. Yes, but if you choose reliable websites. Reading poker site reviews is an easy way to reveal which sites are trustworthy and safe to play.
- Q. Can I play without investing real money?
- A. Yes, there are freerolls and other events where you can play for free. You can also take advantage of bonuses and promotions to get extra money for playing.
- Q. How hard is it to withdraw funds?
- A. The withdrawal process should be simple on most sites. Some platforms might take a couple of business days to process a withdrawal request, although that depends on the chosen payment method.
- Q. What other games can I play for real cash?
- A. You can enjoy online slots for real money or try your luck at roulette, blackjack, and other table games. Scratch cards, bingo, keno, and even arcade games are also available on some sites.
- Q. Is it possible to play on my smartphone or tablet?
- A. Yes, most websites allow playing on smartphones and tablets. Pick a platform that has a mobile-friendly website or a dedicated mobile app to play on portable devices.
- Q. Are there any bonuses for playing poker?
- A. Some providers might be willing to offer a dedicated bonus for those who want to play poker. Check out platform reviews to discover the sites offering this bonus. You can use promotions intended for all games on a particular platform, too.
- Q. How do you rank poker websites?
- A. The factors we consider include gaming licenses acquired by the platform, available poker variations, and other games, bonuses and promotions offered, payment method supported, etc. Our primary concern is that the website is safe for all players.
- Q. What poker variations are available to play online?
- A. It depends on the website, but the most common variations offered include Texas Hold’em and Omaha Hi.
- Q. What is UIGEA?
- A. UIGEA is the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act. This act was passed in the US Senate in 2006, but it is rarely applied in practice.
- Q. Can I earn real money by playing poker online?
- A. While you can profit from playing poker online, make sure to apply responsible gaming rules.
- Q. Is it legal to play poker in Canada?
- A. Yes, you can find legal poker gambling websites in Canada. Unlike many other places around the world that have stringent regulations and laws against online gaming, Canada is an excellent place for legal casino games for cash, since there are currently no laws prohibiting gambling online.Always double-check the individual website terms and conditions, because many sites are based in the US or overseas, but they have laws that prohibit the casino from paying out cash for games played on their website, unless players are residents or within particular borders to gamble.
- Q. Do poker sites accept PayPal?
- A. Some Canadian real money online poker sites will accept PayPal as a payment method. However, it is always recommended to check your ideal site first. If the payment options are not listed, ever feel free to contact customer service directly with your question, as they usually answer players quickly.
- Q. How to play with bonuses?
- A. If you want to play for real cash, the first rule is to join the best poker sites for Canadian players with great reputations. They generally have the best promo offers and bonuses for their members, which boosts opportunities to make some serious cash from the beginning.Read through the rules of each bonus to make sure you qualify. Most promos will have clear instructions and requirements, which include promo codes that must be applied on site. Some others will be quick and easy perks that are directly loaded into your account.